Saturday, October 4, 2014

Head Over Heels

Years ago I was able to play tennis weekly with three other women from my church.  Not only did we play tennis together, we would fellowship over a meal.  We kept each other spiritually accountable and shared at a very deep level of sharing and caring. I looked forward to Thursdays for many years until the pain became unbearable and I had to stop this activity. 

Thursday of this week marked a huge event.  Four very special ladies allowed me to dust off my racket and try out my new wings of freedom.  It felt so natural to put that racket in my hand and ease into playing doubles.  I was just getting in my groove when I went for a ball that just dropped over the net.  My mind told me I could get to that ball and take it down the line on my opponents.  But, my body did not follow my mind.  I felt my body  topple head over heels to the hard, cold concrete leaving me looking up at the ceiling.  Of course, these sweet, caring ladies ran to check out the damage expecting to find a bloody mess.  I came out of it with a few abrasions, with the rest of  my body intact with no broken bones.  A shout out to Adelle Dickie, Sheila Lehman and Diana Stickle and Peggy Bough for allowing me this special time.  They were so gracious to put up with my feeble attempt to feel 16 again.

I may try my hand at tennis again in a little while.  What a wonderful feeling of freedom was mine - I was soaring with the eagles.  I've asked myself many times what is meant by a little while.  I venture to guess my timetable doesn't come close to what is reversed in scripture.  Often other verses with the same phrase indicate a very long time.  For example:


I Peter 1:  
"In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. "

I Peter 5:10
"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."


John 16:17
..."In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me..."
 Here a little while is over 2000 years, but a day is like a thousand years to our Heavenly Father.
  "They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness."

Although I am comforted by the fact that I will dwell eternally with my Savior, Jesus Christ, I also realize a little while could be a thousand years or longer.  Although I expect Jesus to come back any moment, to Him it is just a little while.  Even so Lord Jesus, come quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment